COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – The oils in plants can cause allergic reactions to the poisonous green plant and poison so they desperately need medical attention.
Kelly Gore, a nurse practitioner at CVS Minute Clinic in Worthington, treats people who are in contact with plants while hiking or gardening.
Within 10 minutes, urushiol oil from the plants can begin to affect the open skin. The rash can appear four hours to four days later, Gorey said.
“Usually it’s rash, redness and itching,” Gore said of the symptoms. “Sometimes they may be crying or draining the area.”
Poison ivy rash treatments
A range of over-the-counter products helps:
- Washing removes urushiol oil, which causes an allergic skin reaction
- Hydrocortisone cream treats and relieves itching
- Calamine lotion helps dry out sores and relieves itching.
- Over-the-counter allergy pills can also help stop itching.
“If the rash is bothering you, spreading it, or worsening it in any way, I would say it’s definitely time to seek medical attention,” Gore said. “If it’s in your face or sensitive areas, it’s best to seek medical attention.”
If you have trouble breathing, call 911.
To bandage or not? “If it’s crying, it’s best to close it until the crying stops. But if you open it up as much air as possible, it’s helpful,” Gore said.
The time of recovery
The rash may take one to two weeks to heal. If it lasts more than two weeks and is not good, seek medical attention. There are strong topical creams available with prescription plus oral steroids, but you will need to make an appointment with a nurse practitioner or your doctor to get them.
Wear lightweight long sleeves and long pants in the garden or in the woods and remember when you see the plant, “Let there be three thirds,” if it is a poisonous green plant.
Rinse your skin with water and wash clothes in laundry with soap. Gore suggested removing the shoes and washing them if they came into contact with the plant.
How to Get Rid of Poisonous Green Plant from Your Garden
Delaware County Master Gardeners replied to an email from NBC4 with information on how to get rid of the plants:
“Glyphosate herbicides (eg roundup source concentrate) have less soil activity (a few days) than a triclopire (eg Ortho Max Poisson IV and Boot Brush Killer Concentrate) or a 3-way herbicide (furti-loam weed-out lawn weed). Concentrate), it’s been a few weeks.
“Therefore, glyphosate is recommended in planned or existing ornamental flowers or woody shrubs. If the bed is not planted, wait four or five days before planting,” the email said.
“Glyphosate works best when applied two weeks before and two weeks after full flowering, which usually occurs in early summer.
“If you need to kill poison ivy on lawns or fence lines, a 3-way or triclopire herbicide is preferred. These work best in late spring or early summer when plants are actively growing.
“Do not use clippings in this area for mulch in vegetable gardens or ornamental beds due to the longevity of the pesticide. Herbicides can be sprayed on the plants, but be careful not to let the leaves, stems, or stems of the desired plants stray.
Reduction of poisonous green plant
To protect the neighboring plants, you can cut down the poisonous green plant and spray or paint the herbicide on the newly cut trunks or stumps.
“Regardless of what herbicide you use, look for new poisonous green plant growth every week for several weeks after application. If there is new growth, re-apply the herbicide, ”said Master Gardener’s email.
“Wear full-length pants and long-sleeved shirts and protect your arms and hands from disposable gloves or long plastic bags such as newspapers or breadcrumbs; Secure the tops with rubber bands. Be sure to throw gloves or bags. If any clothing comes into contact with a poisonous green plant, launder it separately from the family’s laundry.
When dealing with a small infestation, dig the plant (try to get the entire rhizome) and dispose of it in a plastic bag as a landfill. You can cut it back to ground level if you are hungry. After cutting, inspect the site once a week and cut back to ground level when new growth appears.
“Do not dispose of toxic ivy clippings in a compost pile or burn, which releases urushiol oil, which causes an allergic skin reaction.
“Instead, bag the clippings and dispose of them in the landfill,” said Master Gardener’s email.