Looking for a new iPhone or iPad beta? For whatever reason, if you’re ready for a stable release, read the step-by-step guide on how to uninstall the iOS 16 beta, downgrade to iOS 15, and restore it with a backup.
If you have taken the risk to install the iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 beta on your primary iPhone or iPad, or if you do not want to test beta software on a particular device, downgrading to iOS 15 is relatively easy.
Below, we will see how to downgrade from iOS 16 beta immediately.
Uninstall iOS 16 Beta: Return to iOS 15
Important: If you have already installed watchOS 9 beta on Apple Watch connected to iPhone running iOS 16 beta, you will not be able to use your wearable fully after downgrade For iOS 15 There is no way to downgrade to WatchOS 8 – Unless you take your Apple Watch to Apple.
Uninstall iOS 16 Beta immediately with Mac / PC
If you want to uninstall the iOS 16 beta immediately, you’ll need to delete and reinstall your iPhone or iPad. With this option, you will not be able to restore from a backup made on iOS 16 when returning to iOS 15. But naturally, you can restore it from a previous iOS 15 backup.
Fortunately, with iCloud saving a lot of data for most applications, this is not as hassle as previous years.
- Make sure you are driving The latest version of MacOS Uninstall the iOS 16 beta before starting the process.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad To your Mac or PC via Lightning or USB-C cable.
- Use the correct method from the list below to enter your device Recovery Mode. When successful you will see a computer icon and a cable.
- For iPhone 8 or later: Press the Volume Up button and release it quickly. Press the Volume Down button and release it quickly. Then, press and hold the side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Hold the Sleep / Wake and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Do not release buttons when you see the Apple logo. Continue holding down both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
- For iPad with Home Button: Hold the Sleep / Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Do not release buttons when you see the Apple logo. Continue holding down both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
- For iPad Pro with Face ID: Press the Volume Up button and release it quickly. Press the Volume Down button and release it quickly. Hold down the top button until you restart your device. Continue holding down the top button until your device goes into recovery mode.
- When the Restore / Update option appears on your Mac or PC, select Restore. This will wipe your device and install the latest non-beta version of iOS.
- Select Install When you see a prompt that requires an update to restore your iPhone to complete the process.
After the software restore is complete, you can restore the backup from iOS 15 (or set up your iPhone or iPad as a new device) through your Mac / PC or iCloud.
Here’s how to uninstall iOS 16 Beta on iPhone with Mac:
Alternatively, you can go to Settings> General> VPN & Device Management> iOS 16 Beta Profile> Remove Profile. But keep in mind that it won’t downgrade you to iOS 15. You’ll have to wait until the public release in the fall to get out of the iOS 16 beta.
Check out more details on how to uninstall the iOS 16 beta in Apple’s support document and our video description:
Read more on iOS 16:
FTC: We use self-affiliate links to generate revenue. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: