From South Orange Downtown:
South Orange Downtown (SODT) is looking for one or more artists to create and install a sculpture in the Triangle Village Plaza, located on the corner of Valley Street and Village Plaza. As part of a larger triangle revitalization initiative, this sculpture will be a focal piece at the entry point into the central district and complement the adjacent murals. The sculpture should be a visual presentation of the neighborhood’s liveliness as it connects to light, energy and harmony, or an orientation art exhibit that lets people know they are in South Orange Downtown.
PLACE OF INSTALLATION:
The sculpture will be installed in the Village Plaza Triangle. Artists should recommend the exact placement of the sculpture as part of their proposal.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The SODT will hire a skilled artist or team of artists to design and install works that local residents can enjoy, enhance the look of the business district, and attract visitors. The goal of the South Orange Downtown Village Plaza Triangle Project is to revitalize this important space with a mural, sculpture, outdoor seating and lighting. The art installations will convey the theme of “light, energy and harmony” and will reflect the liveliness of the central district.
SODT has issued this Call for Artists to present a conceptual statement for the Village Plaza triangular sculpture that conveys a theme of light, energy and harmony, or an orientation art exhibit. Three the artists will be selected to present a concept sketch. The chosen artist will be compensated up to $ 25,000 and runners up will receive $ 250 for submitting the concept sketch.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE PROPOSAL
SODT asks artists to complete the online application which will include:
- Statement of Interest: Description of the artist’s or team’s interest in the project, initial view of the work, and relevant experience or background.
- Proposed Artwork Concept Statement: Description of the proposed design concept, including design intent, color, size, materials, durability, and manufacturing processes.
- Sample Work: Sample work portfolio of a link to your website or a minimum of three (3) to a maximum of ten (10) samples of past work, including a list of annotated images indicating the title of the piece , the client body, the project budget, date, means and size.
- Bio or resume with contact information
- Two professional references with contact information
- Website and social media link
A selection committee made up of creative professionals, community members and representatives of SODT will select the finalists based on their sculpture proposals. SODT will have final approval of the sculpture project.
The artist or artists chosen will receive an honorarium of up to $ 25,000 for the artist’s fees, design, manufacture and installation of the artwork.
- June 24, 2022 Deadline for submitting the offer request
- 27 June – 1 July 2022 Examination of proposals and selection of 3 three artists to make conceptual sketches
- 1 August 2022- Concept Sketches submitted by 3 finalists
- August 15, 2022 – Selected final artist
- October 8 – Completion of the installation
- 15 October 2022 – Public inauguration of the work
Applications must be submitted to [email protected].
Link to the online application: www.southorangedowntown.org/news/vpt-sculpture
ON THE CENTER OF SOUTH ORANGE AND THE COMMUNITY OF SOUTH ORANGE
South Orange is a place steeped in history and community pride. The charming city center offers historic architecture, unique shops, contemporary restaurants and exciting entertainment. The South Orange community is known for its proximity to New York City, access to the South Mountain reservation, progressive attitude, and family friendliness. It is home to a diverse mix of people and the nationally recognized Seton Hall University.
South Orange Downtown is committed to the continuous improvement of the central district through the creation of art installations and to making art central to the daily life of the community. South Orange Downtown is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization dedicated to making the downtown business district a vibrant place to live, work and be entertained through events, landscaping and advocacy for downtown businesses. South Orange Downtown is New Jersey’s longest-running Main Street Community. The organization’s mission is to strengthen the vitality of the downtown business district by supporting existing businesses and attracting new ones to enhance the Village’s retail mix; raise funds for improvement projects and public art; production of events that integrate existing shops and services; maintain a clean, safe and pedestrianized city center; and help the governing body manage the new development while preserving the attractive architectural heritage of the downtown area.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS JUNE 24, 2022